And it’s finished. (Pun intended) After 2 coats of oil/wax and a light buffing, it’s all put together. It’s a 100% improvement, god damn I hate thick poly finishes. Why not just make the body out of plastic resin with a faux wood grain decal underneath? Seriously pics don’t do this bass justice. Marc is […]
The Rickenbacker Bass now has 8 or 9 coats (I lost count) of tung oil, linseed oil and poly blend. 1 part of each with a little bit extra of the linseed oil to thin it out. Worked like a charm. Nice film build up but still very thin. After each coat I waited 24 […]
This is how the Rickenbacker looks after sanding off the poly. It is down to bare wood. This was much faster to sand than the Tele due to the fact that the Rick doesn’t have any pore/grain filler. I did not sand down the fret board – that will have to wait for a […]
Yet another refinishing project. So my friend Marc at Bassline-shift has a 1990’s Rickenbacker bass with a terrible divot (for a lack of a better word) on the neck. There was a section on the neck where there was no poly finish. It affected the playability. This is how it came from the factory! Really? […]
Assembled the telecaster guitar today. First I put the bridge on, then soldered the pickup and ground wires to the tone and volume knobs. Then I screwed on the face plate and pick guard. Assembled the neck and strung her up with Elixir Nanoweb strings. Adjusted the action and neck. She plays great! I would […]
Just put on the last coat of finish on the guitar neck. I sanded off the old finish and sanded it up to 1200 grit. It’s glass smooth. I’d highly recommend anyone sanding down their neck, it’s wicked fast. Here’s a pic of the neck and body together, tomorrow starts the reassembly.
Applied 4 coats of finish, had a small problem with the first two coats being too think. I had to sand down to 320-400 before putting on coats 3 ad 4. My finishing mixture needs more boiled linseed oil, closer to equal parts linseed, tung and poly. The mixture works pretty good on a chair […]
Finished sanding the telecaster up too 1200 grit. Then applied one coat of oil/poly finish. I’m using my own blend of 2 parts tung oil, 2 parts polyurethane and 1 part boiled linseed oil. Depending on how fast the finish builds up, I’ll put on 4 to 6 coats. I wasn’t sure what the […]
Most of the rough sanding is done, now on to the smooth sanding, which I’ll probably sand up to 1200 grit.
Seems that my iPhone and computer don’t want to play nice with each other with regards to movie files. So… I’m not sure what will happen with the video of my refinishing project. But here is a couple of pics of the telecaster after sanding off the pore filler. Getting the pore filler off is […]